Saturday, December 26, 2009

Dijon Ham Braid

This is a quick recipe that I’ve been making since I started cooking at about 14. I think it came from my mom’s Better Homes & Gardens cookbook, but I really can’t be sure.  I served it with just a green salad for a light meal.  If you want something a bit heartier, add a simple baked potato.  I love it because it looks kinda fancy, but is so simple!  Puff pastry is your friend - tell us how you like to use it best.


Dijon Ham Braid


Ingredients:
½ package (17.5 oz. size) frozen puff pastry
3 oz. cream cheese
1 tbsp milk
1 tbsp Dijon mustard
2 cups chopped ham
1 cup frozen peas
1 egg yolk

1) Preheat oven to 400 degrees
2) Lay pastry out on ungreased cookie sheet
3) Make 2 inch cuts at 1 inch intervals along the two long sides of the pastry
4) Heat cream cheese, milk, and mustard over medium heat until smooth
5) Add ham and peas to cheese mixture
6) Spoon onto pastry, and fold sides over in a criss-cross pattern
7) Mix egg yolk with water and brush over top.  This will give it a nice golden brown top when it's done.
8) Crack some black pepper on top, if desired
9) Bake for about 25 minutes, or until golden brown.

1 comment:

  1. I just made this. It is absolutely fantastic and will be on the menu often.

    ReplyDelete