Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Low-Fat Banana Muffins


Ok, so today it's my turn to put a post on our new blog "Sisters Serve It Up". First of all I want to ask everybody not to be too harsh with me when it comes up to my English skills. I am German and still working on them.

I am always trying to find some good, but also healthy food. So when I had some very ripe bananas left, I looked through my ginormous (is that actually a word?) collection of cookbooks and found an actually pretty good recipe for banana muffins in my "Moosewood Restaurant Low-Fat Favorites" Cookbook. It's my first recipes out of this book, but I'm gonna try out some more. They all sound pretty good.

Anyways, here's the recipe.

Low-Fat Banana Muffins:

1 cup unbleached white flour
1/4 cup packed brown sugar
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon nutmeg
1 cup rolled oats
1 egg white
1 egg
2 tablespoons canola or other vegetable oil
1 cup mashed ripe bananas (about 2 bananas)
1/2 cup plain nonfat yogurt
1/2 raisins or currants

Preheat oven to 4oo F.
Prepare muffin tin with paper liners, cooking spray, or a very light coating of oil.
In a large bowl, sift together the flour, brown sugar, baking soda, baking powder, cinnamon, and nutmeg. Whirl the oats in a blender until they reach the consistency of cornmeal; you should have about 3/4 cup of processed oats. Stir them into the dry ingredients. In another bowl, beat the egg white for 3 minutes until foamy but not stiff. Stir in the egg, oil, mashed bananas, yogurt, and raisins or currants. Fold the wet ingredients into the flour mixture until just combined.
Spoon the batter into the muffin tin and bake for 20 to 25 minutes, until a toothpick inserted in the center of a muffin comes out clean and dry. Cool in the tin for 5 minutes, loosen each muffin by running a knife around the edge, and then tip out onto a rack to cool completely.

1 comment:

  1. Can look at my blog and see nutritional facts of healthy, low fat food at grocery stores.

    ReplyDelete